Monday 6 May 2013

OUGD401- Self Evaluation



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code   
OUGD401               


 Module Title
Context of Practice 1


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
James Keefe



1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I now have a better understanding of how to write in an academic format. I had never written anything like this before so I found the essay a challenge. I am much better at analysing images and writing a descriptive response to express my opinions in detail. I have improved my time management skills by scheduling my time better to make sure I meet deadlines.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have learnt how to review my research and apply it to my own work to express my own opinions and ideas. This informed my layout and aesthetic for my publication to reflect the context.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think I have developed my ability to design with simplicity to clearly communicate a message. I enjoy designing modernist informed work and hope to make this my signature in the future. I want to further develop my understanding of minimal design to improve my designing skills.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I would like to improve my research skills to further explore a subject to reach the best possible outcome. I need to not rely so much on the internet and source different methods of research. I’ve started to use the library more, which has been really helpful, however, I need to explore more methods of generating research.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Experiment with different binding techniques.
I relied on a shop to bind my publication that messed up the order of the pages. This lead to me having to compromise my design to compensate for a mistake, which wasn’t my fault. If I had looked into binding it myself I could of prevented it happening.

Source different methods of research.

I relied too much on the internet and used a select amount of books to collect my research. If think I need to use different sources to fully explore the subject.

Focus my writing.

When writing my essay I talked about a lot of different areas, where as I now know its better to focus it on two or three subjects and talk about them more in depth. I make sure I do this next time I write an academic paper.

Get someone to proof read my work.

Unfortunately I found a typo in my publication. I read it over and over to make sure they were no mistakes and after I got it printed I found a typo. If I had got someone to read it as well, I possible could have prevented this.

Improve my note taking skills.

I took notes in all the lectures but struggled to keep up with the speaker to write clear understandable notes. I need to think of a better system of how I document the lectures so I can refer back to them if needed.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




*
Punctuality




*
Motivation



*

Commitment



*

Quantity of work produced



*

Quality of work produced



*

Contribution to the group


*


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment